Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2)) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2))
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 13:45 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> But this isn't just for me...

I have an old proposal here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-06/msg00404.php

Of course, the number one problem I ran into was that I never actually
wrote the code, not that I needed it to be a plugin ;)

But seriously, it might help. I may be able to write it for 8.5+, and
then turn it into a plugin and people using 8.4 could benefit.

Or maybe it gets rejected from the core and I have to write it as a
plugin by copying GiST and modifying it. I think this might be an answer
to Heikki's observation that writing a stable index AM takes a long
time: it doesn't if you just copy an existing one and modify it
slightly. Because I don't need to make any changes to the way WAL is
used, ideally I could have a high degree of confidence that it's correct
with little effort. Right?

I haven't given a lot of thought to whether my improvement could be made
a plugin or not, nor have I read your patch, but it seems possible to
me.

Regards,Jeff Davis