Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2)) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2))
Date
Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2))  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 14:52 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> > as I understand, there are already plans to utilize this feature. If so,
> > we need to be more attentive by now.
>
> Is there? If I understood Simon correctly in the last paragraphs of
> these emails:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1221470800.3913.1229.camel@ebony.2ndQuadrant
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1221555881.3913.1761.camel@ebony.2ndQuadrant
>
> he has no immediate use for this.

Immediate use cases for me would be

* ability to filter WAL records based on database or relation

* ability to recover quickly from various types of bug, for example if
new freespace code caused a corruption we would be able to sidestep it
and get the database up again quickly without doing resetxlog and losing
data.

Medium term

* bit map indexes

But this isn't just for me...