Re: A single escape required for log_filename - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: A single escape required for log_filename
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > When I set it up, it automatically appended the time so I got:
> > postgresql.log.1231878270
> > That seems a bit, well wrong. If I say I want postgresql.log I should
> > get postgresql.log.
>
> You'd probably reconsider around the time the log file filled your disk.
> You really *don't* want a single fixed filename, you want some kind of
> rotation series.

I have perfectly good log rotation utility that exists on my OS. (yes I
am aware of the possibility of losing a log entry when using logrotate).
The behavior is counter-intuitive. I can either ask for a fixed filename
or I can't. PostgreSQL shouldn't say, "I know what you meant, you meant
to put a timestamp on the end".

The behavior does not appear to be documented in the code or in the
docs. (I can submit a patch for that of course)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL