Re: Irreversible performance drop after increasing shared mem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Irreversible performance drop after increasing shared mem
Date
List pgsql-general
> After you changed the conf file, did you restart the postmaster? Not
> just reload, since that won't affect existing sessions I beleive.

SIGHUP will cause existing sessions to adopt a new value of sort_mem
from the config file (unless it's been locally overridden, eg with SET).

However, shared_buffers can only be set at postmaster start, so changing
it in the config file will affect nothing unless you stop and restart
the postmaster.

            regards, tom lane