Re: [HACKERS] removing the exec() from doexec() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] removing the exec() from doexec()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> This exec() takes 15% of our startup time.  I have wanted it removed for
> many releases now.

Don't forget that you will have to use a real fork() rather than
vfork().  Some of the apparent savings will not materialize.

I agree, though, that using exec() to reinvoke the same binary is
pretty silly, especially when you don't want exec's normal side-effects
of detaching shared mem etc.  And being able to rip out the dependency
on whether vfork() exists would be nice.