Re: [HACKERS] removing the exec() from doexec() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] removing the exec() from doexec()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> No reason for the exec().  I believe the only advantage is that it gives
>> us a separate process name in the 'ps' listing.  I have looked into
>> simulating this.
>     Under FreeBSD, there is:
> setproctitle(3) - set the process title for ps 1
>     This isn't available under Solaris though, last I checked...

Setting the process title from C is messy, but there is a readily
available reference.  The Berkeley sendmail distribution includes code
to emulate setproctitle on practically every platform.  See conf.h and
conf.c in any recent sendmail release.  Warning: it's grotty enough to
make a strong man weep.  Don't read near mealtime ;-)