Re: share library version problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: share library version problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Bryan White <bryan@arcamax.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> One thing you should check is whether both libs were built with the same
>> options (compare pg_config --configure output from the 8.0 and 8.1
>> installations).

> I think that might be the problem.  These are the differences in
> pg_config --configure output:

> dev server:
>   '--host=i686-redhat-linux-gnu'
>   '--build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu'
>   '--target=i686-redhat-linux'
>   '--with-includes=/usr/include'
>   '--with-libraries=/usr/lib'
>   'CFLAGS=-O2 -g -march=i686 -I/usr/include/et'
>   'CPPFLAGS= -I/usr/include/et'
>   'build_alias=i686-redhat-linux-gnu'
>   'host_alias=i686-redhat-linux-gnu'
>   'target_alias=i686-redhat-linux'

> web server:
>   '--build=i386-redhat-linux'
>   '--host=i386-redhat-linux'
>   '--target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu'
>   '--with-tcl'
>   '--with-tclconfig=/usr/lib'
>   '--enable-thread-safety'
>   'CFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -m32
> -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables'
>   'build_alias=i386-redhat-linux'
>   'host_alias=i386-redhat-linux'
>   'target_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu'

I'd bet on --enable-thread-safety, or perhaps -fexceptions or
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables as being the problem.

> Does it work to install the postgresql-server RPM from the 8.1 version
> and the others from the Fedora 4 included 8.0 version?

I think the RPMs have interdependencies that would prevent that,
although you could try it.

My advice is to get your 8.1.* RPMs from Fedora 5 rather than PGDG.
Your "web server" options look like Red Hat's standard build
environment, so the Fedora RPMs should have those same build options or
close enough.  And there's no difference worth noticing other than the
Red Hat-ish build options, unless Devrim or I screwed up ;-)

If the Fedora 5 RPMs won't install on your FC4 machine, grab the FC5
SRPM and do a quick rpmbuild --rebuild to make custom RPMs for your
environment.

            regards, tom lane