Re: Streaming replication and non-blocking I/O - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Streaming replication and non-blocking I/O
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, I have a problem with that.  What's the backend doing with libpq?
>> It's not receiving this data, it's sending it.

> walreceiver is a postmaster subprocess too.

Hm.  Perhaps it should be a loadable plugin and not hard-linked into the
backend?  Compare dblink.

The main concern I have with hard-linking libpq is that it has a lot of
symbol conflicts with the backend --- and at least the ones from
src/port/ aren't easily removed.  I foresee problems that will be very
difficult to fix on platforms where we can't filter the set of link
symbols exposed by libpq.  Linking a thread-enabled libpq into the
backend could also create problems on some platforms --- it would likely
cause a thread-capable libc to get linked, which is not what we want.