Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] Can not create more than 32766 databases in ufs file system. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] Can not create more than 32766 databases in ufs file system.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc> writes:
> My God - I thought 32k databases in the same directory was insane.

Considering that the system catalogs alone occupy about 5MB per
database, that would require an impressive amount of storage...

In practice I think users would be complaining about our choice
to instantiate the catalogs per-database a lot sooner than they'd
hit the subdirectory-count limit.

BTW, there is another avenue that the OP could look into if he
really wants this many databases on a UFS filesystem: split them up
into multiple tablespaces.