Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] Can not create more than 32766 databases in ufs file system. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] Can not create more than 32766 databases in ufs file system.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> * Mark Mielke (mark@mark.mielke.cc) wrote:
>> No matter what scheme PostgreSQL uses for storing the data, there can be
>> underlying file system limitations.

> This is true, but there's a reason we only create 1GB files too.  I
> wouldn't be against a scheme such as described to minimize the impact to
> PG of these limitations.

There are plenty of filesystems available that do not have this silly
limitation, so I don't see a reason for us to work around it.  If the
OP is on a platform that only offers UFS and ZFS, and he doesn't like
either of those, maybe he should find another platform.