Re: Trigger not working as expected, first row gets a null value - Mailing list pgsql-general

From novnov
Subject Re: Trigger not working as expected, first row gets a null value
Date
List pgsql-general
I have been able to spend some more time working on this and have made a bit
of progress.

I had the trigger set to run before insert; and the sql inside the trigger
needed to ref the new record in order to supply a value. I think that's why
the first try always applied a null value.

So I've changed the trigger to go after insert. Now, all of my trigger
function variables are populated properly but the record is never updated.
The function is meant to find a value via the internal sql, and then update
a column in the same tabled that invoked the trigger with that value. Is
that a non-workable scenario? IE, an after insert trigger can't modify a
column in the same table that was updated?