Re: configure option for XLOG_BLCKSZ - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: configure option for XLOG_BLCKSZ
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 12:28 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:

> As PostgreSQL makes its way into higher throughput environments, it
> wouldn't surprise me to discover more of these situations where switching
> WAL segments every 16MB turns into a bottleneck.

We already hit that issue and fixed it early in the 8.3 cycle. It was
more of a problem than the checkpoint issue because it caused hard
lock-outs while the file switches occurred. It didn't show up unless you
looked at the very detailed transaction result data because on fast
systems we are file switching every few seconds.

Not seen any gains from varying the WAL file size since then...

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com