Re: Re: preproc.y error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: preproc.y error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org> writes:
> | I wonder if we ought not accept byacc as a suitable yacc in configure?

> I can agree with this approach, unless there is some magic to get
> byacc to work.

It's very probably possible to make it work by feeding byacc enough
table-enlarging options.  (I have some now-outdated notes in the
FAQ_HPUX doc file about what options are needed to build with the
vendor's yacc on HPUX.)  However, I don't think we want to bother with
trying to maintain a workable set of byacc options in the makefiles.
They'd not get enough testing, since the developers all have bison
installed and most other people use tarballs in which the parser files
are prebuilt.  So it seems to me that the right approach is for
configure to never select byacc or yacc by default, but instead to
use a 'missing' script like we do when flex isn't found.  As with the
flex case, the user could override configure's choice, but if he does
then it's his problem to make it work.