Re: Why can't you define a table alias on an update? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Why can't you define a table alias on an update?
Date
List pgsql-general
nolan@celery.tssi.com writes:
> This is the query I posted a performance question on, but I have a
> SQL standard question about it too:
> Why can't you define an alias on the primary table in an update query?

Because there's no such syntax in the SQL standard.

It seems like a reasonable extension, but looking at the grammar just
now, I think that we'd have to turn SET from an unreserved keyword to a
reserved word to make this work.  Not sure how many peoples' databases
that would break ... but we'd probably get a few complaints ...

            regards, tom lane