Re: Optimizer failure on update w/integer column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Optimizer failure on update w/integer column
Date
List pgsql-general
nolan@celery.tssi.com writes:
> Is there a documented problem with optimizing integer key fields
> in 7.3.3?

I see nothing particularly wrong with that query plan.

> When I try to do an update, it takes several hours.

That seems excessive for a 700K-row update, but I doubt that the query
plan is the problem.  I'm betting there's a lot of per-update overhead
due to triggers or foreign keys.  What have you got in that line?  Do
you have indexes on both sides of any foreign-key relationships that
missing_ids participates in?

            regards, tom lane