AW: Re: More on elog and error codes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Subject AW: Re: More on elog and error codes
Date
RE: Re: More on elog and error codes  ("Otto A. Hirr, Jr." <otto.hirr@olabinc.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> > So we need some good error numbering scheme.  Any ideas?
>
> SQL9x specifies some error codes, with no particular numbering scheme
> other than negative numbers indicate a problem afaicr.
>
> Shouldn't we map to those where possible?

Yes, it defines at least a few dozen char(5) error codes. These are hierarchical,
grouped into Warnings and Errors, and have room for implementation specific
message codes.
Imho there is no room for inventing something new here, or only in addition.

Andreas