Re: AW: Re: More on elog and error codes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: AW: Re: More on elog and error codes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zeugswetter Andreas SB writes:

> > SQL9x specifies some error codes, with no particular numbering scheme
> > other than negative numbers indicate a problem afaicr.
> >
> > Shouldn't we map to those where possible?
>
> Yes, it defines at least a few dozen char(5) error codes. These are hierarchical,
> grouped into Warnings and Errors, and have room for implementation specific
> message codes.

Let's use those then to start with.

Anyone got a good idea for a client API to this?  I think we could just
prefix the actual message with the error code, at least as a start.
Since they're all fixed width the client could take them apart easily.  I
recall other RDBMS' (Oracle?) also having an error code before each
message.