AW: heap page corruption not easy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Subject AW: heap page corruption not easy
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > The only source of serious problems is thus a bogus write of a page
> > segment (100 bytes ok 412 bytes chunk actually written to disk),
> > but this case is imho sufficiently guarded or at least detected
> > by disk hardware.
>
> With full page logging after checkpoint we would be safe from this
> case...

> Comments?
>
> - full page backup on first after checkpoint modification

I guess you are right, especially since it solves above and index.
The "physical log" solution sounds a lot simpler and more robust
(I didn't know you use PageAddItem, sounds genially simple :-)

But we should probably try to do checkpoints less frequently by default,
like every 20 min to avoid too much phys log.

Andreas