Re: postgresql table inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: postgresql table inheritance
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 04:16 +0800, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> The people who try to make a database that maps so well with the
> objects in a single particular program are solving a very different
> problem from those of us who use a database partly as a "lingua
> franca" (or "vehicular language") for many different programs and people.

Replace "in a single particular program" with "in a specific revision of
a specific component of an application" ;)

The reason I say this is because most people don't realize that, by just
making their objects "persist", that all of their data is now very
context sensitive (to specific revisions of specific parts of their
code). Contrast that with storing real world facts, which are both
context insensitive and time insensitive.

I do see your point, but in this context I don't think the two uses are
very different. In the first case you mention, you are using the
database as a lingua franca between the application at time T and the
application at time T + N years (which is, in reality, a different
application); rather than in the second case, where it's a lingua franca
between two different applications at the same time.

> Link.

Did you intend to include a URL?

> One man's impedance mismatch is another man's layer of abstraction or
> "comms protocol" :).

Good point.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis