Re: [hibernate-team] PostgreSQLDialect - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [hibernate-team] PostgreSQLDialect
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 10:55 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > The way to fix both that and the differing available functions would
> > > probably be to have a subclass of the dialect for each server version.
> > > MySQL seems to have about 5 :)
> > > http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/api/org/hibernate/dialect/package-summary.html.
> >
> > I'm thinking the same thing. We could let PostgreSQLDialect to do full
> > support to Postgre 7.x and extend it to support the new
> > features/functions in Postgre 8.x. Btw, to do that, one thing that we
> > must do is identify what functions are new/still avaiable in 8.x. That
> > approach is good too, because we can get different behaviors in each
> > version of the database.
>
> I've posted files to pgsql-patches, as well as to Diego directly.
>
> There are 3 files
> PostgreSQL8Dialect.java which implements enough for 8.0 and 8.1
> PostgreSQL82Dialect.java which extends PostgreSQL8Dialect
> PostgreSQL83Dialect.java which extends PostgreSQL8Dialect
>
> PostgreSQL8Dialect is not provided as a patch because the extensions
> have all been re-ordered to match the underlying sequence and grouping
> in the base Dialect file. Checking it should be much easier now.
>
> I've not checked 7.x compatibility
>
> We can then push out a new file every release.
>
> Notes:
> - Not sure when getCascadeConstraintsString() gets called, so left it
> unset
>
> - Not added any keywords. Some Dialects add a few keywords, but there
> doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. Any advice?
>
> - GUID support is possible, but really opens up the debate about how
> extensibility features should be handled.
>
> - For now, I think we should document the procedure for adding a local
> site Dialect which implements additional functions, with GUID as an
> example

If we do this, then it looks like we can hack this file also
http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/hibernate/core/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/hibernate/dialect/DialectFactory.java

so that Hibernate can pick up the version dynamically.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com