Re: Performance bottleneck. High active sessions but postmaster kernel threads are in a sleep state, low CPU utilization - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Performance bottleneck. High active sessions but postmaster kernel threads are in a sleep state, low CPU utilization
Date
In response to Performance bottleneck. High active sessions but postmaster kernel threads are in a sleep state, low CPU utilization  (Hotmail <crajac66@hotmail.com>)
Re: Performance bottleneck. High active sessions but postmaster kernel threads are in a sleep state, low CPU utilization
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2021-03-30 at 12:22 -0600, Hotmail wrote:
> We are trying to gain some insight into a performance bottleneck that we are hitting while load testing Postgres on
11.11.
> [hundreds of active sessions, but CPU is not maxed out]

With that many active sessions you are probably hitting some contention inside
the database.  Look at "wait_event" and "wait_event_type" in pg_stat_activity.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe