pg_dumpall to psql -f NOT working - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ketema
Subject pg_dumpall to psql -f NOT working
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello.  I performed a pg_dumpall of my 8.1 db cluster and upgraded to
8.2.4.  the dump went fine and the script file appears to be fine.  I
have a mixture of UTF8 and SQL_ASCII databases in the dump.  However I
am not able to restore my data after the upgrade.  I performed from
the command line
psql -f myfile -U postgres postgres

the process starts ok then it fails in the data resotration.  What i
see onthe command line is a bunch of invalid commands because of psql
interpreting data as commands.

I had specifically not did insert statements because the documentation
said the copy commands were much faster, now I am regretting it.  How
can I get psql to interpret the dumpfile correctly and restore my
data?

Thanks.