Re: HOT pgbench results - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: HOT pgbench results
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 13:16 +0100, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> I ran some CPU intensive pgbench tests on HOT. Results are not
> surprising, HOT makes practically no difference on the total transaction
> rate, but reduces the need to vacuum:
>
>         unpatched    HOT
> tps        3680        3790
> WAL written(MB)    5386        4804
> checkpoints    10        9
> autovacuums    116        43
> autoanalyzes    139        60

Nor would I expect anything else, on this test.

The pgbench database has 4 tables, of which 3 have one index and 1 has
no indexes at all.

A table without indexes is uncommon and most major entities such as
accounts have 2-3 indexes if not more. So I would be inclined to add a
PK to HISTORY and add two additional indexes to ACCOUNTS and then repeat
the test to see what difference it makes.

--  Simon Riggs EnterpriseDB  http://www.enterprisedb.com