Re: Any risk in increasing BLCKSZ to get larger tuples? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Any risk in increasing BLCKSZ to get larger tuples?
Date
List pgsql-general
Joseph Shraibman <jks@selectacast.net> writes:
>> A trick you can use in 7.0.* to squeeze out a little more space is
>> to declare your large text fields as "lztext" --- this invokes
>> inline compression, which might get you a factor of 2 or so on typical
>> mail messages.  lztext will go away again in 7.1, since TOAST supersedes
>> it,

> Uh, why.  Does TOAST do automatic compression?

Yes.

> I've been wondering why we haven't seen 7.1 before now then.  I mean why
> are you waiting on whatever you are waiting on?  Why not release 7.1 now
> and 7.2 in January with all the other features you want to add?

The original plan for 7.1 was "WAL from Vadim, plus whatever the rest of
us get done meanwhile".  Vadim's taken longer than expected, that's all.
(He's had a few distractions, like a new wife...)

There was some thought of maybe releasing 7.1 without WAL, but we're
pretty much committed now --- the WAL changes are halfway-integrated in
CVS, and backing them out would take more effort than it seems worth.

            regards, tom lane