Re: max_connections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: max_connections
Date
List pgsql-general
"John D. Burger" <john@mitre.org> writes:
> I'm now fiddling with some of the performance parameters, and I'm
> wondering about max_connections.  The default appears to be 100 - this
> is at least an order of magnitude higher than I need.  Would much be
> saved by dropping this down to 10 or less?

Nothing at all, really, AFAIK; just a little bit of shared memory.

On certain platforms (OS X at least) there is a penalty to oversized
max_connections because each per-backend-slot semaphore is an open file
that has to be passed down when a new backend process is forked.  But
this is not true on Solaris.  I doubt you'd see any difference.

            regards, tom lane