max_connections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John D. Burger
Subject max_connections
Date
List pgsql-general
I've recently succeeded in lobbying my sysadmins to upgrade from 7.2.0
to 7.4.8 (thanks to everyone for the advice on how to leverage this).
I'm now fiddling with some of the performance parameters, and I'm
wondering about max_connections.  The default appears to be 100 - this
is at least an order of magnitude higher than I need.  Would much be
saved by dropping this down to 10 or less?  I gather I could dial
shared_buffers up slightly (SHMMAX is 32M on our Solaris boxes), but is
there any substantive benefit to conservatively setting
max_connections?

Thanks.

- John D. Burger
   MITRE