Re: About dropped notifications - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: About dropped notifications
Date
List pgsql-general
CSN <cool_screen_name90001@yahoo.com> writes:
> I'm considering setting up a script that listens for
> notifications for a table and if a row is deleted the
> script will delete that row's corresponding files. If
> there are thousands of rows in the table, and I do
> "delete from table", or even "delete from table where
> id >1000 and id<2000", will the script be notified of
> the deletion of each and every row (and subsequently
> be able to delete that row's files), or will only one
> notify event be received (or some number less than the
> actual number of rows deleted)?

Depends where you are doing the notify from ... but I think
with the current implementation, a transaction will emit only
one notify per notify event name, even if NOTIFY is executed
many times within the transaction.

            regards, tom lane