Re: What changed? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Mark Lewis
Subject Re: What changed?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 15:33 -0400, Paul Tomblin wrote:
> Quoting Mark Lewis (mark.lewis@mir3.com):
> > This is addressed in the FAQ, look at the section titled, "I upgraded
> > from 7.x to 8.x. Why did my application break?"
> >
> > http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/faq.html#upgradeTo80
>
> Except neither of the two categories documented there apply to me.  The
> problem I'm having is that I'm calling either
>     stmt.setNull(p, java.sql.Types.TIMESTAMP);
> or
>     stmt.setTimestamp(p, startDBDate);
> and it's staying that it can't tell the type, in spite of the fact that I
> do specify it in both cases.

Sorry, guess I was reading a little too quickly the first time around :)

More recent versions of the driver send UNSPECIFIED for timestamps
(except in the setNull case where they always send TIMESTAMPTZ, but I
don't think that matters), which allows the server to "do the right
thing" most of the time.  I don't have time to really dig into it right
now but I'm guessing that you're hitting a case where it fails to do the
right thing.

-- Mark