Re: Acces via applets - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Thompson
Subject Re: Acces via applets
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 11, 3:45 pm, m...@comcast.net ("Marc") wrote:
> The bottom line question is can an applet served to a client machine other
> than the one the postrgres db resides on read that db?

Certainly.  But the applet needs to be signed
by the distributor, and trusted by the end-user.

> Why does an applet served to the same box as the db work, but when served to
> another box not work?

One reason is this..

If unsigned applets could pull resources off
other sites, a lot of developers would be tempted
to use them so they could 'hot link' to resources
on *other* sites, while pretending to deliver the
content from their *own* site.

If the user is prompted to 'trust this code',
it makes it more obvious to the end user that
something beyond a standard applet is happening.

As an aside, this is more of a Java problem,
than one relating to SQL.  I do not generally
read this group, so if you wish to pursue the
matter, I suggest taking it up on the
comp.lang.java.help usenet newsgroup.

HTH

Andrew T.