Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT (was Question: pg_classattributes and race conditions ?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT (was Question: pg_classattributes and race conditions ?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 23:11 +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> The algorithm would look like:
>
> 1. Disable HOT-updates

The lock held by CREATE INDEX already prevents HOT updates. So steps 1
and 8 aren't needed.

We need to be clear that we already have a solution to CREATE INDEX
CONCURRENTLY. Do you agree that we do? Does anyone see a problem with
the posted design for that?

Hopefully it is only CREATE INDEX that we need to think about.

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com