Re: HOT - whats next ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: HOT - whats next ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 12:29 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> >
> > The main point is to get a set of functions that can be used directly in
> > additional regression tests as well as diagnostics. ISTM we need to
> > *prove* HOT works, not just claim it. I'm very open to different
> > approaches as to how we might do this.
> >

> Functions to support regression tests don't need to be built-ins. We
> already load some extra stuff for regression tests.

Oh good, thanks.

There is still merit in including these in core because they'll be
useful in lots of cases. We have functions for esoteric things like the
current WAL insert pointer, we have SRFs for portals, locks etc. Why not
for heap tuple headers? In 8.3 we are aiming to include a number of
features that will directly effect tuple representation, such as HOT,
comboids or features that alter the way VACUUM works. ISTM a great time
to have some diagnostic functions that relate to heaps.

The earlier objections to AdminPack were about functions that write to
files. These functions just read data, not write them. So there's no
objection there, AFAICS.

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com