Re: How often do I need to reindex tables? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: How often do I need to reindex tables?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 09:17 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bill, you are right but I believe Jim was speaking from a general
> perspective. Generally speaking you should not have to reindex, or if
> you do very rarely.
>
> I too have a couple of databases we manage that require a reindex more
> often than what would be considered normal, but a reindex is far from
> the norm itself.

Isn't a REINDEX still needed in the case of monotonically increasing
keys, such as in a sequence or timestamp index? I also delete tuples, so
that results in a forward-shifting range of keys.

If this is not normal, I need to re-evaluate my autovacuum settings.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis