Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Karen Hill
Subject Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?
Date
Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?  ("Lou O'Quin" <LOquin@talleyds.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Feb 5, 9:33 pm, t...@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) wrote:
> "Karen Hill" <karen_hil...@yahoo.com> writes:
> > I have a pl/pgsql function that is inserting 200,000 records for
> > testing purposes.  What is the expected time frame for this operation
> > on a pc with 1/2 a gig of ram and a 7200 RPM disk?
>
> I think you have omitted a bunch of relevant facts.  Bare INSERT is
> reasonably quick:
>
> regression=# create table foo (f1 int);
> CREATE TABLE
> regression=# \timing
> Timing is on.
> regression=# insert into foo select x from generate_series(1,200000) x;
> INSERT 0 200000
> Time: 5158.564 ms
> regression=#
>
> (this on a not-very-fast machine) but if you weigh it down with a ton
> of index updates, foreign key checks, etc, it could get slow ...
> also you haven't mentioned what else that plpgsql function is doing.

The postgres version is 8.2.1 on Windows.   The pl/pgsql function is
inserting to an updatable view (basically two tables).

CREATE TABLE foo1
(

) ;

CREATE TABLE foo2
(

);

CREATE VIEW viewfoo AS
(

);
CREATE RULE ruleFoo AS ON INSERT TO viewfoo DO INSTEAD
(

);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION functionFoo() RETURNS VOID AS $$
BEGIN
FOR i in 1..200000 LOOP
INSERT INTO viewfoo (x) VALUES (x);
END LOOP;