Re: Second attempt, roll your own autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Csaba Nagy
Subject Re: Second attempt, roll your own autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 07:28, Tom Lane wrote:
> Glen Parker <glenebob@nwlink.com> writes:
> > I am still trying to roll my own auto vacuum thingy.
>
> Um, is this purely for hack value?  What is it that you find inadequate
> about regular autovacuum?  It is configurable through the pg_autovacuum
> catalog --- which I'd be the first to agree is a sucky user interface,
> but we're not going to set the user interface in concrete until we are
> pretty confident it's feature-complete.  So: what do you see missing?

I'm not sure what the OP had in mind, but the thing which is missing for
us is a time window restriction sort of thing. What I mean is to make
sure a vacuum will never kick in in the main business hours, but only at
night at pre-specified hours, and only if the vacuum threshold was met
for the delete/update counts.

It would be nice if there could be a flexible time window specification,
like specifying only some days, or only weekends, or each night some
specific hours... but just one time window would be a big improvement
already.

Cheers,
Csaba.