Re: postgresql dies without saying why - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgresql dies without saying why
Date
List pgsql-general
Robin Lynn Frank <rlfrank@paradigm-omega.com> writes:
> The following appears when the machine is booted, but somehow postgresql
> silently dies (no message in logs).  If I  then use the same init script that
> is used during startup, it starts just fine and keeps running.  Any thoughts
> on how I can determine/avoid the problem would be appreciated.

The postmaster will generally complain before quitting.  I suspect you
have things configured so that the complaint message goes nowhere but
/dev/null.  I'd suggest altering the init script to send postmaster's
stdout and stderr into a specific log file (make sure postgres has
permission to write this log file, too).  Turn off syslog logging if
you have that selected in postgresql.conf.

Once you've managed to obtain a failure message, write back if you need
help interpreting it ...

            regards, tom lane