Re: Configuration settings for 32GB RAM server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Configuration settings for 32GB RAM server
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 12:57, Joshua Marsh wrote:

> On 12/4/06, Mark Lonsdale <mark.lonsdale@wysdm.com> wrote:
>         Maintenance_work_mem = 1048576 – Figured Id allocate 1GB for
>         this.
>

> Do you know how often and when you will be creating indexes or
> clustering?  We set ours to 2GB because of the performance gains.
> We've also thought about testing it at 4GB.  We can do this because we
> know during the middle of the night our server load drops to nearly
> zero.  If you know you have windows like that, then I would definitely
> suggest increasing your maintenance_work_mem.  It's halved the time
> for io intesive tasks like cluster.

Also, remember that most of those settings (work_mem,
maintenance_work_mem) can be changed for an individual session.  So, you
can leave work_mem at something conservative, like 8 meg, and for a
session that is going to run at 2am and iterate over billions of rows,
you can throw several gigabytes at it and not worry about that one
setting blowing out all the other processes on the machine.