Re: Permission denied for sequece... - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Permission denied for sequece...
List pgsql-jdbc
On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 17:27, Jon Horsman wrote:
> >  Column |  Type   |                      Modifiers
> > --------+---------+------------------------------------------------------
> >  id     | integer | not null default nextval('public.real_id_seq'::text)
> >
> > Note that my table, real, has a sequence named read_id_seq.  You need to
> > grant all on that as well...
>
> That did it.  Thanks a lot.  I _never_ would have guessed that and
> don't recall seeing it in the docs, perhaps i missed it.

I do think it's in the docs, but I'm not prepared to bet on it.  :)  It
is a rather inobvious thing though.

> While on the topic.  Is there one blanket command that can be run to
> grant the user permissions to do everything to the db, without making
> that user the owner or a superuser?

No, there is no single statement.  But there is pl/pgsql.  If you search
the archives there are examples of some fairly simple pl/pgsql scripts
that do just that.  There might be provisions for such a built in in
8.2, due out soon.  I haven't kept up on new pgsql development since
taking a rather busy job working on 7.4 machines.  I'm really hoping to
get an 8.1/8.2 server up and running for work here as a data warehouse
though...