Re: Permission denied for sequece... - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Permission denied for sequece...
List pgsql-jdbc
On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 14:03, Jon Horsman wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm in the process of porting an app from MySQL to PostgreSQL and am
> pretty new with PostgreSQL and am having permission problems.
>
> First, a little background info.
> - The postmaster is set to startup with -i and i'm able to actually
> connect without an exception.
> - I've added the following lines to the pg_hba.conf files (for testing purposes)
> local all all trust
> host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
>
> I create my db, as follows:
> createdb testdb
>
> then i log into psql and run the following
> CREATE USER testuser PASSWORD 'default';
> GRANT ALL ON DATABASE testdb TO testuser;
> GRANT ALL ON [my table names] TO testuser;
>
> In my app i connect to the db with the following, which is run without issue.
> connection = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql:testdb",
> "testuser", "default");
>
> I then call the following insert
> INSERT INTO Property (Name,Value) VALUES ("some name", "some value")
>
> and get the following error
>
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: permission denied for
> sequence property_propertyid_seq
>
> The sql used to create the property table is
>
> CREATE TABLE Property
>     (PropertyID SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
>     Name VARCHAR(64) UNIQUE NOT NULL,
>     Value VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL);
>
> Can someone tell me what would cause this error message to occur and
> suggest ways that i could fix it?

run psql to your db and do a \d on that table.  You should see something
like this:

 Column |  Type   |                      Modifiers
 id     | integer | not null default nextval('public.real_id_seq'::text)

Note that my table, real, has a sequence named read_id_seq.  You need to
grant all on that as well...