Re: Practical maximums (was Re: PostgreSQL theoretical - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Practical maximums (was Re: PostgreSQL theoretical
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:53 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > It will be difficult to have a consistent dump though.  You can't do
> > that with separate transactions.  (And you can't have multiple
> > simultaneous readers without separate transactions.)
>
> Absolutely, you're right.  All "threads" must run from within the
> same read-only transaction.

The idea is that pg_dump already works and already creates a good
backup. Why not split up the data after pg_dump produces it? Of course
it should be split up in a stream fashion, like I suggested before in
this thread with my multiplexing script.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis