Re: Connection limit and Superuser - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Csaba Nagy
Subject Re: Connection limit and Superuser
Date
Re: Connection limit and Superuser  (Csaba Nagy <nagy@ecircle-ag.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 15:00, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 08:47:38AM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > It appears that the superuser does not have connection limit
> > enforcement. I think this should be changed.
>
> So if some admin process goes awry and uses up all the connection
> slots, how does the admin get in to see what's happening? If there's a
> limit you're not really superuser, are you?

I thought there is a limit for super-users too... citation from:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime-config-connection.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION-SETTINGS

max_connections (integer)              Determines the maximum number of concurrent connections to the       database
server.The default is typically 100, but may be less       if your kernel settings will not support it (as determined
   during initdb). This parameter can only be set at server start.               Increasing this parameter may cause
PostgreSQLto request more       System V shared memory or semaphores than your operating       system's default
configurationallows. See Section 16.4.1 for       information on how to adjust those parameters, if necessary.

superuser_reserved_connections (integer)              Determines the number of connection "slots" that are reserved
 for connections by PostgreSQL superusers. At most       max_connections connections can ever be active simultaneously.
     Whenever the number of active concurrent connections is at least       max_connections minus
superuser_reserved_connections,new       connections will be accepted only for superusers.               The default
valueis 2. The value must be less than the value of       max_connections. This parameter can only be set at server
start.

Cheers,
Csaba.