Re: Impact of vacuum full... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Impact of vacuum full...
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 10:13, Erik Jones wrote:
> Hello, I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to the impact to
> the entire database of running VACUUM FULL against a single table.  The
> reason I ask is that at company we work for we have a very large number
> of queue type tables that fill up and empty out on a regular basis

HOLD ON! Do you empty them by doing something like

delete from table

with no where clause?

If so, then try truncating the table.  That will clean it completely and
reclaim all the dead space, plus it's faster than delete anyway.

If that doesn't help, look at scheduling more aggressive plain vacuums
(no just autovacuum, but cron job vacuum on specific tables that you
know have a high turnover).

Vacuum full is basically admitting your regular vacuum schedule isn't /
can't be aggressive enough.