Impact of vacuum full... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Impact of vacuum full...
Date
Re: Impact of vacuum full...  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello, I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to the impact to
the entire database of running VACUUM FULL against a single table.  The
reason I ask is that at company we work for we have a very large number
of queue type tables that fill up and empty out on a regular basis, on
the average every two days per table would be a good estimate.  These
tables, when filled, can contain anywhere from less than 50 to upwards
of 500,000 entries.  We recently moved out db over to a new box as the
old one wasn't cutting it (we haven't been able to run a successful
VACUUM FULL on the whole db in over a year and after the transfer our db
was smaller by 50GB!!!).  Thus we are looking into a more aggressive
vacuuming strategy for these table in order to keep our database lean
and clean for the purpose of quick and fast dumps and general
performance issues otherwise.

Also, what kind of times am I  looking at to do VACUUM FULL's on single
tables of different sizes?

Thank  you for any advice/input you may have...

--
erik jones <erik@myemma.com>
software development