Re: Creating a db on my newly installed postresql on OS X - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Creating a db on my newly installed postresql on OS X
Date
List pgsql-novice
=?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Krogh_Neigaard?= <soeren@neigaard.com> writes:
> Im totally new to postgresql. I installed 8.4.3 via MacPorts, and it told me to run this command to have postgresql
startat boot:

> sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.postgresql84-server.plist

> I can see with a ps command that there are something runing. So what next? I can read that I must use initdb to
createa database, and give it a path to a file/directory where the data will be stored, but will the running postgresql
serverthen know where this database/data is?

If the server is running, there must already be a valid data directory
for it to work in.  I'm not familiar with the MacPorts package but it
seems likely that that daemon script ran initdb for you --- you could
look into the script to check.

> What are the next steps to get me up and running?

Try "psql postgres" and see what happens.

            regards, tom lane