Re: Creating a db on my newly installed postresql on OS X - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Søren Krogh Neigaard
Subject Re: Creating a db on my newly installed postresql on OS X
Date
List pgsql-novice
When I issue the command "psql postgres", I get this message:

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

I found a tutorial that told me to do the following:

sudo mkdir -p /opt/local/var/db/postgresql84/defaultdb
sudo chown postgres:postgres /opt/local/var/db/postgresql84/defaultdb
sudo su postgres -c '/opt/local/lib/postgresql84/bin/initdb -D /opt/local/var/db/postgresql84/defaultdb'
sudo su postgres
/opt/local/lib/postgresql84/bin/createuser -s -P -l #MYUSER#

But still I get the same error when ever I try and run psql. But how does postgresql know where to find my database
files?Or is it something else that is my problem?

Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
Søren Neigaard <soeren@neigaard.com>

If I'd known computer science was going to be like this, I'd never have given up being a rock 'n' roll star.

On 16/04/2010, at 19.01, Tom Lane wrote:

> =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Krogh_Neigaard?= <soeren@neigaard.com> writes:
>> Im totally new to postgresql. I installed 8.4.3 via MacPorts, and it told me to run this command to have postgresql
startat boot:

>> sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.postgresql84-server.plist
>
>> I can see with a ps command that there are something runing. So what next? I can read that I must use initdb to
createa database, and give it a path to a file/directory where the data will be stored, but will the running postgresql
serverthen know where this database/data is?

> If the server is running, there must already be a valid data directory
> for it to work in.  I'm not familiar with the MacPorts package but it
> seems likely that that daemon script ran initdb for you --- you could
> look into the script to check.
>
>> What are the next steps to get me up and running?
>
> Try "psql postgres" and see what happens.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Attachment