Re: PostgreSQL committer history? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL committer history?
Date
Re: PostgreSQL committer history?  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 01:19, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 01:38 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > Is it as simple as "if nobody objects within 24 hours, apply"?
>
> I don't think the bottleneck is in patch *application* -- applying a
> patch without inspecting its contents doesn't take very much time, and
> there's quite a few community members who could do it. The shortage is
> of people who have the skills to review patches, and I don't see an easy
> way to resolve that.

I've often wondered how much it would help to have more committers for
the purpose of having people review & apply smaller patches on their
own, there by reducing the "busy work" from Tom, Bruce, et al who we
really would rather focus on bigger patches. Ie. many of us could
probably review patches for programs like psql, createdb, etc..., is it
really more helpful for those patches to have a followup email from
someone saying "looks good"? Wouldn't it be more productive to have that
follow up email to be a "patch applied" message?

Robert Treat