Re: PostgreSQL committer history? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PostgreSQL committer history?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 01:19, Neil Conway wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 01:38 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > > Is it as simple as "if nobody objects within 24 hours, apply"?
> >
> > I don't think the bottleneck is in patch *application* -- applying a
> > patch without inspecting its contents doesn't take very much time, and
> > there's quite a few community members who could do it. The shortage is
> > of people who have the skills to review patches, and I don't see an easy
> > way to resolve that.
> >

> I've often wondered how much it would help to have more committers for
> the purpose of having people review & apply smaller patches on their
> own, there by reducing the "busy work" from Tom, Bruce, et al who we
> really would rather focus on bigger patches. Ie. many of us could
> probably review patches for programs like psql, createdb, etc..., is it
> really more helpful for those patches to have a followup email from
> someone saying "looks good"? Wouldn't it be more productive to have that
> follow up email to be a "patch applied" message?

The small patches are easy to apply.  It is the complex ones that take
time.  I basically do two things, first, pull out patches that have been
submitted that have no negative feedback and add those to the queue, and
then review/apply them, unless someone else does first.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us
  SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com