Re: Performance Problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Performance Problems
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 14:12, Warren wrote:
> I have one table that gets slower and slower over time. It has a lot of
> UPDATES INSERTS and DELETES run on it. It may have as many as 20,000 rows at
> any given time. I am running autovacuum using the following command line:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_autovacuum -D -s -S -L
> /usr/local/pgsql/log/autovacuum -U postgres -P password -H 127.0.0.1 -p 5432
>
> It does speed back up after I do a full vacuum on it. What can I do to keep
> the performance consistent.

You likely don't have high enough FSM settings.

Run your database for a while (24 hours or so) without running a vacuum
full.  Regular vacuums are fine.

Then, by hand, run vacuum verbose and it will tell you how many extra
pages / slots you need.