Re: Locale and Initdb Errors - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Locale and Initdb Errors
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Travis West" <trav.west@gmail.com> writes:
> Yep, it was the glibc-common. I looked back through install.log and during
> the installation, there was an MD5 sum mismatch with that package, so it
> failed to install it. I downloaded it, installed it, and now postgresql
> starts.

Interesting.  I had tried to replicate the problem here, and rpm
wouldn't let me:

$ sudo rpm -e glibc-common
error: Failed dependencies:
        glibc-common = 2.4-8 is needed by (installed) glibc-2.4-8.i686
        /usr/bin/gencat is needed by (installed) redhat-lsb-3.0-9.2.i386
        /usr/bin/getconf is needed by (installed) redhat-lsb-3.0-9.2.i386
        /usr/bin/iconv is needed by (installed) redhat-lsb-3.0-9.2.i386
        /usr/bin/locale is needed by (installed) redhat-lsb-3.0-9.2.i386
        /usr/bin/localedef is needed by (installed) redhat-lsb-3.0-9.2.i386
$

Of course I could have overridden that with --nodeps, but that's not the
point.  What surprises me is that the installer would allow installation
to proceed without a package that core packages are marked as dependent
on.  ISTM that's an installer bug; you ought to file a bug report about
it with Red Hat.  (I would, but you have the evidence in the form of the
log file, so you should do it.)

            regards, tom lane