Re: Survey on backing up unlogged tables: help us with PostgreSQL development! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Survey on backing up unlogged tables: help us with PostgreSQL development!
Date
Re: Survey on backing up unlogged tables: help us with PostgreSQL development!  (Scott Mead <scott@scottrmead.com>)
List pgsql-general
Scott Mead <scott@scottrmead.com> writes:
> +1  -- Is there a technical reason to do a TRUNCATE on restart?  I'd feel
> better if I could just have unlogged tables that survive unless something
> like a power-outage etc...  I'm in the exact same boat here, lots of big
> logging tables that need to survive reboot, but are frustrating when it
> comes to WAL generation.

Keep in mind that these tables are *not* going to survive any type of
backend crash.  Maybe my perceptions are colored because I deal with
Postgres bugs all the time, but I think of backend crashes as pretty
common, certainly much more common than an OS-level crash.  I'm afraid
you may be expecting unlogged tables to be significantly more robust
than they really will be.

            regards, tom lane