Re: Patch proposal: make use of regular expressions for the username in pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Drouvot, Bertrand
Subject Re: Patch proposal: make use of regular expressions for the username in pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 9/9/22 2:46 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Jacob Champion <jchampion@timescale.com> writes:
On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 1:13 AM Drouvot, Bertrand <bdrouvot@amazon.com> wrote:
This is why I think username filtering with regular expressions would
provide its own advantages.
I think your motivation for the feature is solid.
Yeah.  I'm not sure that I buy the argument that this is more useful
than writing a role name and controlling things with GRANT ROLE, but
it's a plausible alternative with properties that might win in some
use-cases.  So I see little reason not to allow it.

Thank you both for your feedback.

I'd actually ask why stop here?  In particular, why not do the same
with the database-name column, especially since that does *not*
have the ability to use roles as a substitute for a wildcard entry?

I think that's a fair point, I'll look at it.

I think you're going to have to address backwards compatibility
concerns. Today, I can create a role named "/a", and I can put that
into the HBA without quoting it. I'd be unamused if, after an upgrade,
my rule suddenly matched any role name containing an 'a'.
Meh ... that concern seems overblown to me.  I guess it's possible
that somebody has an HBA entry that looks like that, but it doesn't
seem very plausible.  Note that we made this exact same change in
pg_ident.conf years ago, and AFAIR we got zero complaints.

Agree that it seems unlikely but maybe we could add a new GUC to turn the regex usage on the hba file on/off (and use off as the default)?
Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team